The existing mausoleum building suffered from a lack of regular maintenance since it was significantly altered in the period 1891-95. There were some fundamental defects in performance of the roof coverings and gutters, which derived from the juxtaposition of the new iron dome against the walls of the attached church building. These factors combined to allow water penetration into the masonry structures of both properties. Whilst the church had regular repairs and upgrading, the mausoleum did not, and its state and appearance were poor. Without intervention, significant threat to the fabric of the building, leading eventually to catastrophic failure and loss, was likely.
The design team worked closely with the Client, the congregation of the adjacent church, the local community and a host of other interested groups to establish the most suitable method of visitor introduction to this inaccessible building within sensitive environs.
A £1M funding package was put in place, supported by various agencies including HLF, LEADER, Historic Scotland, Argyll and Bute Council and the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Authority.
We worked alongside ICOSIS and conservation architect Stephen Newsom on this project; the remit of which was to provide careful conservation of the mausoleum itself and the construction of a visitor centre. The restored mausoleum was opened to the public in 2015.