David Narro Associates are working with Edinburgh-based R&B Distillers Ltd and ABIR Architects on the conversion of the 1870 Borodale House, formerly the Isle of Raasay Hotel, into a new distillery producing batched runs of whisky for a niche market.
The project includes the conversion of the 1870 detached villa which sits above the main road from the pier to Inverarish. The 1980s accommodation wing to the north of the house will be demolished to make way for the new production facility. This will be a bespoke steel and exposed glulam frame to incorporate an element of ‘theatre’, with the stills displayed and illuminated so as to be visible to passing traffic and, at a distance, from approaching ferry passengers. David Narro Associates are also responsible for the design of an extensive gabion basket retaining wall which surrounds the lower site along with a new steel frame warehouse, access roads, ancillary buildings and below ground drainage.