The Mackintosh at the Willow is the only surviving tearoom designed internally and externally by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The Category A listed property was designed in 1903 and opened later the same year. The building is regarded as one of the finest examples of a complete Art Nouveau scheme. The tea rooms closed in 1928 and the building was used for retail until it was purchased by The Willow Tea Rooms Trust in 2014.
The goal of the project was to restore the tea rooms to their former use and architectural glory. Located on Sauchiehall Street in the centre of Glasgow, the restored tea rooms are accompanied by a new shop, exhibition, conference facilities, education room and offices in the adjacent building. Amenities, such as lifts, were added to the property to make the buildings accessible without impacting the tea rooms.
The building was re-opened to the public in July 2018, marking the 150th anniversary of Mackintosh's birth.
RIAS Award 2019
GIA Awards 2018: Conservation Award
RICS Awards 2019: Building Conservation - Winner
RICS Awards 2019 Building of the Year - Winner