St. Columbkille’s Parish Church, located in Rutherglen, Glasgow, was founded in 1851. In 1940 the renowned architect Jack Coia designed the modern replacement. The goal of the project was to revitalise the church and ensure its use for future generations.
The alterations undertaken took part in two phases. Phase one consisted of major external changes with fabric repairs and improvements being carried out. An internal refurbishment was undertaken in phase two, including a new nave floor, seating, lighting and decoration.
Our primary responsibilities for the internal changes were a new suspended concrete floor over the main congregation area, new slappings through internal walls and a new level one balcony structure. The church interior was remarkably simple, and the interior interventions were aimed at complementing the existing building and style.
RICS Award 2017: Building Conservation - Shortlisted